22 Mar, 2008

Posted by: Dave In: Film

Rorschach

The Comedian

Night Owl

Ozymandias

Silk Spectre

Watchmen movie info can be found here.

Let’s all hope it doesn’t stink and ruin my good memories of the comic.

-Dave

11 Responses to "Watchmen movie photos"

1 | Scott

March 23rd, 2008 at 9:31 am

I’d seen these on a link from another site as well. It seems as though they’ve at least paid attention to the look of the comic, for the most part.

It remains to be seen whether or not they’ll get the feel of it into a movie, and if it can be a commercial success if they do. Honestly, based on what I’ve read about it to date, they’ll probably get the feel right and absolutely mystify most of the general viewing audience. I think a comic was really the best medium for this particular story in the first place.

March 23rd, 2008 at 11:43 am

I think if the general public is mystified, it will probably be a good movie.

The one member of the Watchmen that I haven’t seen yet is Dr Manhattan. Kind of hard to make a giant naked blue man look realistic.

I’ll be interested in seeing how they handle him on-screen.

3 | Nathan

March 23rd, 2008 at 1:22 pm

i’ve been keeping my eye on this, and i’m disapointed they can’t make the costumes look more like there are in the book.
i hate the whole Matrix-style costumes fer every superhero movie. just put ’em in god damn spandex. they’re supposed to look weird and out of place. it worked for Christopher Reeves, now all of sudden execs/directors don’t think movie goers can do the suspension of disbelief needed to get past the costumes. heck, there’s a giant alien a big blue guy, and a flying ship that looks like an owl. you’d think that would require some trust in the story. people believe in Jesus, and that’s quite alot of suspension of disbelief. Nite Owl should look soft and out of shape.
Brad Bird shoulda done Watchmen, and it shoulda been animated.
the only costumes that look right to me, are the first and last one.
i have no clue what the “general public” is.

March 23rd, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Nate, I’m glad super hero costumes in modern movies don’t look like Adam West’s Batman. That’s just silly.

I’m also glad special effects have evolved too. If everything looked like old Dr. Who episodes we’d spend too much time laughing at the evil alien with the spaghetti strainer on top of his diabolically evil head.

I have a feeling that you are probably not the “general public.”

5 | Nathan

March 24th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

i just don’t see why certain people think that quasi-s&m garb is any more realistic looking.
black leather is just dull on screen.
you were fine with Christoper Reeves, and probably Spiderman.
story can sell special effects.
i just see the opposite being used, special effects used to sell plot.
give me great plot, and not-so-great special effects.
i’m fine with the tornado in the Wizard of Oz, and dwarfs in suits.
i think special effects have gotten worse. it all looks so flat, and pasted on.
i just don’t get the logic behind, “hey, let’s dress ’em up like s&m doms!”.
Watchmen is such an examination of the genre, why not show the genre in all it’s brightly costumed glory?
it’s about weirdos that dress up in costumes and fight crime.
i am alright with them looking “strange”, and i kinda question that “strangeness” lasting throughout the entire movie.
people believe some crazy bullshit for the sake of entertainment. transforming robots, a jewish carpenter demigod, and democracy.

6 | Scott

March 24th, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Story can sell special effects to a point, which is why the earlier incarnation of Doctor Who lasted as long as it did. However, a trailer with cool special effects puts butts in the seats on opening night, which is all that people who finance movies care about. The recent Ghost Rider film was a perfect example. The trailer looked great; the movie was blah, and the studio made a bundle on rentals if not the intial run.

The reason you can’t show the genre in its brightly costumed glory is that the average person will laugh at it. Right or wrong, the image of Adam West’s Batman comes leaping to mind. Even if the hardcore comics fan could accept it, the average person can’t, and you need an awful lot of paying customers to account for the budget of one of these movies.

7 | Alan Moore

March 25th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

They ruined “V for Vendetta”, they might as well ruin everything else I wrote.

March 25th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

Dear Mr. Moore,

When are you going to shave that beard? You look like a goddamn serial killer.

I’m sure your movie will be just as good as the Fantastic Four movies.

Flame on!

9 | Nathan

March 25th, 2008 at 10:02 pm

these “people” seem to buy Spiderman, Superman, Batman, the Fantastic Four, and the Incredibles.
who is this average person? i will smack her and her 2.5 children.
um…the Ghost Rider trailer looked good?
did you see the same trailer i did?
who rented that stupid movie? his big fake hairpiece freaks me out, worse than the falming skull for a face.
let’s use one example and base an entire theory off of it!
Ghost Rider didn’t rake in the cash…it just barely broke even.
i hate this whole idea of the “dumb public” and the “smart me”.
and that Adam West excuse, i betcha nearly half the movie going audience nowadays hasn’t seen the old Batman series.
the Incredibles grossed more than triple what it cost to make. I’m sure Spiderman 1 and 2 did fairly well too!
Glycon Bless You, Mr. Moore!
…..and serial killers look like Alan Moore.
there’s meetings, or so i’ve been told.
the picture of Nite Owl makes me want to vomit in my cowl.

March 25th, 2008 at 10:36 pm

The public is dumb. Trust me.

11 | Justine

March 26th, 2008 at 9:11 pm

I can’t wait to see this movie, no matter what all y’all fashionistas have to say about the costumery.