29 Jan, 2009

Writers with guns

Posted by: Dave In: Photography |Weird |Writing

burroughs

hemingway

huntersthompson1

(Top to bottom) William Burroughs, Ernest Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson.

I think writers holding guns seem more dangerous than “normal” people holding guns.  Perhaps it has something to do with the combination of  intelligence and violence that seems to intensify both characteristics.

Or maybe they were all a bit crazy (since two of the three writers above shot themselves).

Powerful photos, either way.

– Dave

13 Responses to "Writers with guns"

1 | Jim Thompson

January 30th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Hemingway and Thompson are unmistakable. I had no clue who about Burroughs.

Want to see something really scary? Imagine Eudora Welty toting a 12-gauge over-and-under.

2 | Scott

January 30th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I don’t remember anyone saying anything about where guns are positioned on that scale. Since two of the three writers shot themselves, I guess the gun comes out on top in the end.

January 30th, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Jim – I had no idea what Eudora Welty looked like. When I found a photo of her I got an immediate mental picture that was indeed as humorous as you probably intended.

Scott – I think guns are probably mightier than the sword, but still not as mighty as the pen. :)

4 | Nathan

January 31st, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I wonder how many of them were impotent?

5 | Jim Thompson

January 31st, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Hemingway had three (i think) children. Don’t know about the others.

January 31st, 2009 at 2:04 pm

All three writers above had children. I have a feeling if you called any of them impotent to their face, they’d take a swing at you. :)

7 | TDH

February 1st, 2009 at 9:54 am

Year, Uncle Ernie wrote a lot about being tough. And as long as he had a gun with him, I guess he was. If you want to read a great send up of the Hemingway macho code, read “Happy Birthday, Wanda June”, Vonnegut’s only play.

8 | Hieronymus Reiter

April 5th, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Sadly, Burroughs had shot and killed Joan Vollmer by trying to shoot a glass off the top of her head William Tell-style in Mexico City.

9 | Justine

April 6th, 2009 at 11:04 am

I think perhaps this title should be amended to: Chronically drunken and/or drug-addled, semi-psychotic, brilliant writers who had notably poor judgement, holding guns.

10 | Jim Thompson

April 6th, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Brilliant title suggestion, Justine, absolutely brilliant. However, I think what you’re really trying to say is “RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!”

11 | Justine

April 6th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Jim-

That is EXACTLY what I was going for. Well put!

12 | Jim Thompson

April 6th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

On the other hand, Justine, there is something charmingly eloquent with the phrase “Chronically drunken and/or drug-addled, semi-psychotic, brilliant writers who had notably poor judgement.” I can’t wait for a chance to use those words in casual conversation.

13 | In other news « Below the Muck

April 11th, 2009 at 6:09 pm

[…] photo of Ernest Hemingway, William S Burroughs, or Hunter S Thompson doing the “Live long and prosper” […]